Fox My Funny Life Parenting

What’s in a Name?

Baby Name Fox
We get asked quite a bit about the name Fox.

Like really, hippie parents?  You named your son after a woodland critter.  Good luck with that future career path, Kiddo.

Oh yeah, I know your judge-y thought process, old lady in the grocery store line.

I get it.  I mean, we’ve all made a quick joke at Apple and North’s expense, but since I’ve joined the “Out-There, Celebrity Baby Name Club,” I’ve cooled my jets on criticizing anyone on his or her particular moniker choices.  Because names are… personal.

There really isn’t a good story behind Fox except that it was a name I had heard once upon a time and fell in love with.  Add to that the fact my husband watched a shit-ton of “The X-Files” while I was pregnant, and voilà – I was sold, and Tony was on board because he was under David Duchovny’s alluring spell.  We had ourselves a baby Fox.

I think that throws people, because with a unique name, you’d think there’d be a story, right?  Especially since it’s just barely teetering on being a name.  There’s no tale to be told, though.  We didn’t travel the world studying the communal habits of a skulk of foxes for our senior thesis.  I never geeked out on fox items or clothing or had any particular feeling either way for the animal.  Neither of us have a great-grandpa Fox.  There’s just no story.

I meet people who either love it or hate it.  Regardless of which side of the fence you’re on, I guarantee you’ll repeat it back when my son mentions his name while looking at me to make sure you’ve heard it right.  Yes, you did.  F-O-X, yep.  Nice job on your spelling.

Tony and I have a running joke that one day we’ll get a dog and name it Steve.  Because we have a terrible sense of humor like that.

We also question what we do when the next kid shows up.  How do you name your second child a super conventional name like Katherine when the firstborn is on hour three of repeating his name to the elderly neighbor down the street who is still quizzically looking at him like he hasn’t heard it right.  Just give my kid the Halloween candy, so we can be on our way, ok?

We play this game where… nope, wait.  I play this game where I shout out random baby names I like, only for Tony to veto.  How we agreed on Fox (of all names!) is beyond me, but the poor next kid will likely be nameless until I can get his father drunk enough one night to sign on the dotted line.  And if I can get Tony drunk, the probability will be high that I would be too, which means the future kid could end up with some really odd specimen of a name.  Sorry, future Baby Groot.

Are there any stories behind your children’s names?  Bonus points if it involved coercing an intoxicated husband into agreement.

Previous Post Next Post

11 Comments

• Reply Carol

KATIE, I just love the way you write. Looking forward to a new niece named Fawn. Or Petal. Or Fire. Or Fig. Or Sun. Oh, stop me please!

October 9, 2017 at 1:06 pm
    • Reply Katie

Let’s throw caution to the wind and have Fox name a future sibling! 😉

October 9, 2017 at 2:13 pm
      • Reply Aunt Jen

If you let Fox name a baby it would likely have some monster truck name! If a girl comes your way I vote for Fall. Fox and Fall. I think it has a nice ring. 🙂 Oh yes, this could be fun!

October 9, 2017 at 3:45 pm
        • Reply Katie

That could work. I promised my mom no more animal names, so that’s our only stipulation 😉

October 10, 2017 at 12:13 pm
    • Reply Margaret

I vote for Fawn!

October 10, 2017 at 1:41 pm
  • Reply Ju

Olivia was Emma from about month 8 in the gestation process. Even on the way to the hospital. Emma, even Meg could say that and we kind of dug that our little girls would have these rather proper little British bookish names. Then while Michael was getting ready to scrub up for the delivery room and I was in the exciting out-of-body-out-of-mind minutes before getting to push I got to watch all these film clips of Olivia de Havilland who was making some kind of presentation on an awards show on the labor room TV. Fast forward 45 minutes, the baby “pops” out and when asked what her name was, I said, “Olivia Kelly Tufo” and Michael said, “No, wait, we never talked about Olivia as a name” and the seen-it-all, all-knowing nurse said, “Olivia Kelly Tufo it is, she is a beautiful girl with a perfect name.” And that is how Emma became Olivia. And really, could you imagine her with any other name?

October 10, 2017 at 12:29 pm
    • Reply Katie

Love it, and no – I could totally not picture Liv as anything else 🙂

October 10, 2017 at 3:03 pm
  • Reply Gail

I love the name “Fox”. It fits his personality and is so different. I remember when you two held back on telling us with your choices. Glad you stuck to your guns. Whatever the choices will be for number 2 (when that happens), we will love it.

October 10, 2017 at 5:07 pm
    • Reply Katie

Thanks, Gail!

October 10, 2017 at 5:18 pm
  • Reply Calie Herbst

My Hudson we named after a cabin at Camp Minikani, where we met and got married. But the other two were out of thin air, just to make me happy every time I said them. Rosie Bea & Mae Ellen. (Ellen is after her great grandmother.) I love the name Fox!

November 12, 2017 at 10:07 pm
    • Reply Katie

Oooh how I loved Camp Minikani (and how I love that story behind his name)! The names you chose are beautiful ❤️

November 12, 2017 at 10:08 pm